Jamaican Jerk Chicken
Jamaican Jerk Chicken is a popular dish from Jamaica that is known for its
spicy and flavorful taste. It is made by marinating chicken in a special
sauce, which includes a blend of spices such as allspice, scotch bonnet
peppers, thyme, and garlic. The chicken is then grilled over an open flame
to give it a smoky flavor.
History of Jerk Chicken
Jerk Chicken is said to have originated from the Maroons, who were
descendants of African slaves. They lived in the mountains of Jamaica and
used a cooking technique that involved marinating meat in spices and
cooking it over an open flame. This technique helped to preserve the meat
for longer periods of time and gave it a unique flavor. Today, Jerk
Chicken is a popular dish in Jamaica and is enjoyed by people all over the
How to Make Jamaican Jerk Chicken
To make Jamaican Jerk Chicken, you will need the following ingredients:
- 4-6 chicken thighs or drumsticks
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4-6 scotch bonnet peppers (depending on how spicy you like it)
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- 1 lime (juiced)
1. Blend the soy sauce, olive oil, brown sugar, allspice, thyme, cinnamon,
nutmeg, and cayenne pepper in a food processor or blender until smooth.
2. Roughly chop the scotch bonnet peppers, garlic, and onion and add them
to the mixture. Add the lime juice and blend again until smooth.
3. Place the chicken in a large bowl and pour the marinade over it. Make
sure the chicken is coated with the marinade. Cover the bowl with plastic
wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
4. Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Remove the chicken from the
marinade and discard any excess marinade.